Thursday, December 27, 2007

Spay/Neuter-Rama

Well today was the day of all days. I decided to get Smartie, Abbie and Jerry all "fixed" over this vacation from school since we would be able to monitor them and make sure they did not lick or chew on their incisions etc. I originally for an estimate of $1300 from my regular vet all three dogs together. I thought this was kind of pricey as did some of my friends so I figured I would ask my friend from "dog class" who is a vet at North Shore Animal League. She almost had a heart attack.
So PS I canceled my appt with my vet and I was now getting up at 4:30am today to get all the dogs to North Shore by 7:15am so they could all be "fixed" good and proper and I wouldn't have to get ripped off. I took Tom and Jerry to my parents, left Tom there (he is already fixed), got Abbie and Smartie, switched cars and made it out to Port Washington on time. It took 2 hours to examine and get bloodwork and check for heartworm which wasn't even in my vet's original estimate. These alone would have tagged on an additional $100 a dog at least. So everyone gets their pain meds and is zonking out as I leave and I get a phone call from Paul to come home because my car deal is going through!

So I drive all the way back to my mom's to get the title for my trade in and head to the dealer. I left Port Washington at 10:45am and did not get to the dealer until 1:15! It took 2 hours at the dealer during which is when I got the phone call that everyone was out of surgery and was awake from anesthesia and doing well. It is now 3:30, my mom's car is out of gas practically, I haven't eaten and I am supposed to get back to pick up my dogs between 3 and 4 and I am still sitting at the dealer waiting for stupid stuff almost 2 hours away from my dogs! I only got to sit in my car for a minute or two before I had to leave to get my dogs. I figured Paul could get the rest. So he got to drive it home and to a party I ended up totally missing :( because I just couldn't fit it all in one day.) I made good time back to the vet arriving by 5:10 with a stop for McD's and fuel and everyone got a nice dose of sleepytime pain meds for the ride home. The trek to my mom's wasn't too bad because everyone slept so we did the car and dog switch-dropoff and Tom, Jerry and I finally headed HOME!
We arrived at 7:15ish and I am going right to bed. I am not even going to wait up to see my new car. I will check it out in the morning. So in the end the vet trip to my friend out in North Shore (and there isn't any special discount applied except a $10 off coupon for additional dog that anyone can get) came out to be $584 instead of the $1300 + I would have been charged had I gone to my regular vet. I cannot say that I didn't spend the difference when I bought my new car today..... but on a normal day that would have been a great savings! Thanks DR. LAUREN STEIN VMD (Tom, Jerry, Abbie and Smartie's (well maybe not Smartie's ) favorite vet!

No comments: